Friday, April 17, 2009

LOL

In the last few days I have had three instances where the letters LOL were used -- once on a comment to a posting on my blog, once in an email, and lastly in this morning’s newspaper. I didn’t know what the letters meant until I saw the newspaper -- laugh out loud. At least that’s what I think it means.

Back in the old days, when I was alive, LOL had a completely different meaning -- Little old lady. Now that phrase derived from radio commercials (remember radio?) by used car dealers, who would say something like, “This used car was only driven by a little old lady in tennis shoes from Pasadena, who never drove faster than 30 miles per hour.”

Of course the phrase “Used car dealer” is no longer used because today there are no used cars. But there are “previously owned” cars that may have been driven by little old ladies in tennis shoes from Pasadena.

Humor:
It was the contest of all times! Jesus vs the devil. Each was to create as many computer programs and files as possible in a limited amount of time.

They each went at it with remarkable speed, creating data bases, spread sheets, internet connections, computer games, and on and on. And then all of a sudden, right near the end of the time limit, without any warning, the power went out! It came right back on again a few moments later, and the devil let out a shriek of horror! All his work was gone! Everything he he had created had disappeared!

But Jesus just sat there smiling as he wrapped up the last of his work. Why had the devil lost all his work in the power failure when Jesus didn’t. Easy ... Jesus Saves.

2 comments:

  1. Earlier today I actually started to write LOL and then spell out for you that it meant laughing out loud, and then thought, nah, he knows that and I don't need to come across as the know-it-all that my kids try hard not to be to me when it comes to computers.

    I felt like the young whippersnapper rather than the old lady for a moment there. I rather liked that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my faves is ROFL. TTYL.

    ReplyDelete