Saturday, June 23, 2012

QUITE A SURPRISE

The 9 o’clock hour at Avenidas is Social Hour.  Participants arrive by car or bus, and start to fill up the tables that have already been set up.  Many of the men, including me, congregate at what might be called The Old Goat’s table, and the aides offer us tea or coffee, and other light refreshments.

The other morning I found myself seated next to a very pleasant, unassuming fellow named Terry Donovan.  Terry had a number of photos and newspaper clippings spread out in front of him that he wanted to show me.  I was quite pleasantly surprised to see that many of the photos were of our solar system.  Terry said he knew I was interested in astronomy, which is why he had brought them.  The photo below particularly caught my eye, and I asked Terry if I could borrow it.  He agreed, which is why I get to share it with you.


































Then I picked up one of the clippings, which started off, as best I remember, “Physicist Dr. Terry Donovan ...”  That’s as far as I got.  I looked up, a bit startled.  “You’re Dr. Donovan?”  He assured me he was!  I’m
impressed!

From the sublime to the ridiculous ...A bit of humor --

Doctors opinions on the bailout plan–

The Allergists voted to scratch it, and the Dermatologists advised Congress not to make any rash moves.

The Gastroenterologists had sort of a gut feeling about it, but the Neurologists thought the administration had a lot of nerve, and the Obstetricians felt they were all laboring under a misconception.

The Ophthalmologists considered the idea short-sighted; the Pathologists yelled, “Over my dead body,” while the Pediatricians said, “Oh grow up!”

The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was crazy,

The Radiologists could see right through it, and the Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing.

The Internists thought it was a bitter pill to swallow, and the Plastic Surgeons said, “This puts a whole new face on the matter.”

The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but the Urologists felt the scheme wouldn’t hold water.

The Anesthesiologists thought the whole idea was a gas, and the Cardiologists didn’t have the heart to say no. 



3 comments:

  1. That name actually sounded familiar. Love the photo. Guffawed a lot at the joke! Gotta show that one to my radiologist brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laboring under a misconception--HAHAHAHAHAHA.

    How fun to meet an expert in your area of interest! Every day's a school day, er, is Terry curious about double entry bookkeeping?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to meet a new friend who shares an interest with you, and that is a stunning photograph... I feel inspired. Who knows, maybe I'll make an astronomical art quilt in my new studio?
    I am looking forward to meeting our new neighbors. We sign the lease July 1st! (it's official, the apartment is ready!)

    ReplyDelete