Wednesday, June 20, 2012

FUN AT AVENIDAS

Every day at Avenidas at the one o’clock hour there is some kind of entertainment.  The other day we had quite a talented pair -- a fellow who played the piano, and a lovely young lady who is a vocalist.  They entertained us for nearly an hour with songs from musicals that was most enjoyable.  Then when they were about to wrap it up, we insisted on an encore.  And they agreed.  But, we were told, when they finished that song, we would have to name it, and say who the composer was.  Fair enough.  I was prepared for some obscure piece of music.  This is what we got:

Somewhere over the rainbow 
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of  
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow 
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream 
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
 And wake up where the clouds are far Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly 
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

 Clearly an obscure number.  When they finished, I guessed Chattanooga Choo Choo by Louis Armstrong.  The pianist gave me a funny look.  Okay, Over the Rainbow.

And composed by?  And here is where I really startled me, because I didn’t think I knew who the composer was.   But I opened my mouth and said, “Harold Arlen.”  Did you know that was correct?



Funny signs --





















1 comment:

  1. I did not know that, but I will say I do know of another "obscure" but shouldn't be obscure composer- Alan Menken. He really IS a genius. My kid loved playing Disney songs (and I miss hearing them so very much.)

    Here's a medley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-WhOZZstiU

    but if you can see Beauty and The Beast, that's the one I'd recommend! (or get the animated video if you can't see it on stage. Seriously! It's REALLY GOOD! I'm not kidding! The music, story, everything---just rent it! It wouldn't be creepy. How can anything with Angela Landsbury be bad? )

    ReplyDelete