Monday, July 26, 2010

THREE TIMES FOUR EQUALS TWELVE

Usually. Practically all the time. However, here is an apparent exception. My electric scooter runs on batteries, and there is an indicator on it with four lights that tell me how much power remains in said batteries. Four lights on, full power. No lights on, no power. There’s the ‘four’ part of the equation.

Each light on is supposed to give me three miles of travel. Aha! The three part. And 3 x 4 = 12 miles I should be able to travel without screaming for help because I’m outta power!

A week ago I noticed the lights going out more quickly than they should, and Cliff took it into the shop for new batteries. Then this past Saturday I scootered over to a nearby pharmacy, a distance of a mile and a half. That’s 3 miles round trip. As I scootered along toward the pharmacy, I watched with horror as one light shut down after less than a mile. I vowed that if the second one went out, I’d turn around and go home, but that didn’t happen until I’d been to the store, and headed back. Then the third one went out before I reached the front of the park. That’s 3 lights out -- a theoretical nine miles. I did make it home safely, but today I will be phoning the scooter shop to see what they have to say.

More on this as developments occur.


Funny signs --




2 comments:

  1. I don't use my mobile phone much but have noticed a similar thing. The battery lights seem fully lit until they rapidly drop, always when I have to contact Ems in foreign airports. Whenever she travels, I just keep the phone charger in the kitchen. Okay, not the same as being stranded at the drug store but it would be better if there was some "time remaining:X minutes" message rather than bars decreasing at who knows what intervals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had scooter batteries die because, I was told, I didn't use the thing enough. It has to be used at least once a week for the things to remember to hold a good charge.

    Speaking of which, I have something coming up where I need the darn thing, I haven't followed that advice, and I've got $300 worth of dead batteries.

    ReplyDelete