Wednesday, December 1, 2010

THANK YOU CALL

Yesterday I had a call from Paul, one of my nephews from Amalie’s side of the family.  Paul is one of the nicest guys you’d ever meet.  He was calling to thank me for the Thanksgiving greeting.  You are entirely welcome!

Paul and his family -- wife and three daughters, ages 6, 4, and 2 -- live in a town south of Chicago, and he works out of his home.  He is a “headhunter” (no, not the Amazonian kind).  Paul is the go-between for those looking for work, and firms looking to hire.  I asked if he does much reading, and he said most of the reading he does is resumes.  (Now I know you all know that resume in that context is a three syllable word, but down the page I will tell you a story with a different pronunciation.)

Paul asked what I did with my time, and I said I spent half the time on the computer and half reading.  But this morning I emailed him a correction, saying it should be half computer, half reading, and the other half going to doctors and the like.  Go figure the math on that one.

Incidentally, Paul with his three girls, and his brother David with his two could eventually make an all girls basketball team.


Funny --

You know that when referring to a document that details one’s job experience, it is pronounced with three syllables -- REZ-oo-may.  But my late brother-in-law once told me of the time when he was applying for a job, and was told he had to submit a ree-zoom in min-ut detail.  Right.

***
Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot.
  Groucho Marx.

There is no bigger fan of the opposite sex than me, and I have the bills to prove it!
  Alan J. Lerner

2 comments:

  1. A few days ago the BBC weather website listed a headline that Chicago was experiencing warmer than usual weather but going to the page, there was no mention of it. I wonder if it's still true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome fellow with a beautiful wife and family.

    ReplyDelete