Thursday, May 20, 2010

AVENIDAS

...is a senior health care center for adults, with two locations -- in Palo Alto and in my hometown of Mountain View. Today I had the opportunity to be given a tour of the local facilities. They have various activities including lectures, exercise classes, arts and crafts classes, outdoor gardening (for those so inclined) when the weather is nice. There are raised beds outside in a fenced courtyard. There are nurses as well as both physical and occupational therapists for those who need that service. They also serve a hot lunch.

I found every member of the staff to be most friendly and eager to help. My own interest is that it is difficult for me to get out and meet with people, and it is the social interaction that interests me the most. The major problem is that membership is expensive -- more than I care to afford. However, I will probably be able to join because the Veterans Administration will pay for it -- when they have the funding, perhaps in a few months. I’ll keep you up-to-date as developments occur.

Humor --

MORON STORIES
…which may or may not be true but ARE funny…

~ Police in Oakland, CA spent two hours attempting to subdue a gunman who had barricaded himself inside his home. After firing ten tear gas canisters, officers discovered that the man was standing beside them in the police line, shouting, "Please come out and give yourself up."

~ A man walked into a Topeka, Kansas Kwik Stop and asked for all the money in the cash drawer. Apparently, the take was too small, so he tied up the store clerk and worked the counter himself for three hours until police showed up and grabbed him.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Hope the VA comes up with some funding but if you want money quicker maybe you could "work" at a busy Stop'N'Rob......Nah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds lovely :-}
    I am getting out and about more this year than last, but it was a long lonely winter.

    ReplyDelete