Monday, May 16, 2011


I suppose there have been some of you wondering why my daily posting didn't happen this morning. Well! as Jack
Benny might have said.  It's quite a story.

Several days ago my internet connection started running r e a l l y,   r  e  a  l  l  y    s   l   o   w  .  So on Sunday I called my internet service provider to see what could be done.  Tech had me run a few tests, after which I had no dial tone and no internet connection.  Fortunately, the dial tone came back about 30 minutes later.  Unfortunately the DSL connection did not. Back to the ISP.  After more time on the phone, I was told that a technician would have to come out to try to resolve the problem.  On Wednesday.  No good, I said.  Must be tomorrow.  Ultimately it was agreed that a technician would be out between 9 am and 1 pm.  Cliff agreed to stay home and wait.  By 1:30, no technician.  So I again called the ISP (who, you will notice, is remaining nameless).

Now what followed bordered on the absurd -- I’m just not sure which side of the border.  Here I am on hold while tech is trying tho reach Dispatch.  And she is on hold while Dispatch is trying to reach the field  technician.  And the field technician is on his phone trying to reach me, but is getting a busy signal because ... (cycle back to “Here I am on hold”.  Eventually I hung up, and eventually the field technician showed up.  If I get to post this, you will know that this mess has been fixed.

Homemade cartoon --

I opened up the morning paper the other day, and among the various sections was a group of ads.  One of them -- well actually two, but they were bound together -- was the following.  If you don’t find it funny, it is at least intriguing.


  1. Glad you got your connection back! We looked into connecting to the optic ring: it's in the vicinity of City Hall only, and we would have to pay by the foot to connect up to it from probably two miles away. Uh, no.

  2. You can leave the provider's name blank because it could be any of them.