Saturday, May 2, 2009

Author's recommendation

This young lady (I call all women young ladies) is Ariana Franklin, and she is an author. She writes historical fiction.

Several days ago, I posted a rather long item about Diana Gabaldon, who also writes historical fiction. (If you didn't read it then, go back to April 27. It's okay, I can wait). ... ... ... ... ... ...

Ah, you're back. At any rate, several months ago several of us Gabaldon afficianados learned that Diana was going to be at a local bookstore as part of her book tour. So of course we had to go. Along with several million others. Am and I were fortunate in that we brought our own seats -- our scooters. Somewhere near the end of Diana's presentation, someone asked if she did any reading of her own. "All the time" was her response. Would she make any recommendations? Yes, she really liked The Mistress of the Art of Death, by Ariana Franklin.

Wow, that sounded pretty gory. But it turned out that The Mistress was the female protagonist in the story. Adelia, the 12th century female pathologist, was born to take up her role as "Mistress of the Art of Death" fighting medieval crime and speaking for victims who otherwise would have been forgotten. Sound exciting? It is. It's a thriller. It's also, because Ariana Franklin's writing is fascinating and accurate. And her books are "normal" length, unlike Diana's, which go on and on for thousands of pages.

I can heartily recommend Ariana Franklin's writings. I just started the second book about Adelia, The Serpent's Tale. Reads well -- a real page-turner.

Okay, fun time:

The Lord called to Adam and said, "It is time for you and Eve to begin the process of populating the earth, so I want you to kiss her."

Adam answered, "Yes, Lord, but what is a 'kiss'?"

The Lord gave a brief description to Adam, who then took Eve by the hand and led her to a nearby bush.

A few minutes later, Adam emerged and said, "Thank you, Lord. That was enjoyable."

And the Lord replied, "Yes, Adam, I thought you might enjoy that. Now I'd like you to caress Eve."

And Adam said, "What is 'caress'?"

So the Lord again gave Adam a brief description and Adam went behind the bush with Eve.

Quite a few minutes later, Adam returned, smiling, and said, "Lord, that was even better than the kiss!"

And the Lord said, "You've done well, Adam. Now I want you to make love to Eve."

And Adam asked, "What is 'make love' Lord?"

So the Lord again gave Adam directions and Adam went again to Eve behind the bush, but this time he reappeared in two seconds.

And Adam said, "Lord, what is a 'headache'?"

* * *
See you all on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. You read more novels in a week than I do in a year! Well, maybe that's an exaggeration but even though I generally have several non-fiction books on the go at any one time, I usually only get through one or two works of fiction mostly in summer.

    After checking out Ariana Franklin I was amused to discover her husband is the great film critic, Barry Norman! Maybe his reviews make me watch more movies and keep me away from books. BTW, Star Trek opens here Thursday at 4pm! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete