Tuesday, December 29, 2009

BUY ONE - GET ONE FREE

There was an ad in yesterday’s paper for Kleenex - buy one, get one free- limit 4. I said to Cliff that I’d like to get some. I would go in first and get four; then he would go in and get four more. He laughed at this, though he said he would do it. But that reminded me of a similar instance some years ago.

There was something at a local supermarket that Amalie wanted, and like yesterday’s ad, there was a limit. As I had suggested to Cliff, Am wanted me to go in and get the item, and she would also pick up her portion. I went into the store, picked up what she wanted, and went to the checkout line. There was one person ahead of me, and then another woman came into line behind me. Amalie came in line behind that second woman.

After the person in front left, the clerk looked at me rather indifferently, and fiddled around rather than wait on me. When he finally did start to check out my purchase, he was a good deal less than friendly. This bothered me; I hadn’t said a word to him, and when I finally left the store, I was thoroughly annoyed.

A short while later Amalie came out to the car laughing. “What’s so funny?” I demanded. “Well, the clerk was telling the woman in front of me that that guy (me) had flunked him in accounting,” Am related. Of course the clerk didn’t know that the “guy’s” wife was standing there listening to him, and she did not enlighten him. I suppose his behavior toward me was his way to get “even”. I didn’t remember him, but apparently he remembered me. From my point of view, he flunked himself for not doing the work. Gee, just think where he might have been, instead of at a checkout counter, if he’d passed accounting.

Sports Humor --

"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body," --Winston Bennett, University of Kentucky basketball forward.

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees," --Jason Kidd, upon his drafting to the Dallas Mavericks.

"Half this game is ninety percent mental." --Philadelphia Phillies manager, Danny Ozark

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein," --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback &sports analyst.

No comments:

Post a Comment