Monday, August 17, 2009

ICE CREAM SOCIAL

Yesterday we held the event of the month, our Ice Cream Social at the park club house. And when I say “we”, I mean it was a good size, helpful crew that turned out to help with what everyone said was most successful (as well as tasty) event. The weather, as well, was most cooperative, with temperatures in the low 80’s.

I had intended to get photos while the function was in progress, but we got so busy that I didn’t have the time. Next time I’ll have to designate a photographer. However, I did manage to get a few shots in before people began pouring in the door.

I had said I wanted individual tables for our guests, instead of the long tables used for dinners. This shows the tables ready for use, as set up the previous day by several efficient ladies.



That same day Cliff and I went shopping. We bought ice cream ...








That's vanilla, and

















this is chocolate. (We were told that a local store sold ice cream in gallon containers. These turned out to be five quart.)










and toppings ... dark chocolate, strawberry, pineapple, caramel, cool whip, maraschino cherries (two of each), and toothpicks (for the cherries).



When we came back, the Table Ladies said we didn’t have enough toppings, so I scootered back down to the store to pick up some additional. More on that later.

Several residents brought in cookies and cupcakes that were added to the toppings table. No lack of sugar there. About 10 - 15 minutes before the 2:30 official start, folks started drifting in, so I gave our servers the go ahead to start scooping. It wasn’t too long before some folks came back for seconds, and I gave the approval for that. At the end, after about 50 servings had been made, just a little bit remained at the bottom of the containers. I never did know what happened to that. As for the toppings, we had lots left over. We ended up giving away most of it. When it was all over, many people pitched in, cleaned up the mess, folded up the tables and put them away, and we left the place in decent condition. All done in less than two hours.

Humor:

HOUSEKEEPING TIPS

Always keep several get well cards displayed so if unexpected guests arrive, they will think you've been sick and unable to clean. You can also keep a vacuum cleaner in sight so drop-in visitors will think you are getting ready to clean house.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very good time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the chocolate sprinkles? Oh right, those things make a big mess.

    ReplyDelete