Thursday, September 19, 2013

TODAY’S BLOG COURTESY OF CLICK AND CLACK

The writer described his situation, and then asked two questions. I am asking you to answer the first question, and then at the end I will tell you what the unanimous answer was from me, Tom and Ray, and all the others to whom I posed the question. I am confident that you will be able to answer in precisely the same manner. Here is the gentleman’s letter – –


Dear Tom and Ray: I’m a 50-year-old male. For my midlife crisis, my old college roommate and I are taking a 1960 Triumph TR3 roadster on an 8000 mile road trip, retracing the route of a 1987 trip we took in the same car right after college. Back in ’87, the car literally disintegrated along the trip, shedding parts (generator, hood, left rear wheel, even the steering wheel) all across America. We limped home with a blown radiator, a leaking gas tank, a completely non-functioning electrical system (thank goodness it had a hand crank) and a body held together with black rubber straps. The car has been in my friend’s garage for the past 25 years. We recently rolled it out, replaced tires and rubber bits, put in a new voltage regulator, drained and refilled the fluids and repaired the radiator. 

Here are my questions: One) Are we nuts? (This is the question for my readers to answer.)

Two) What else should we do to the car, and what spares and tools would you recommend that we take with us?


As to the second question, Tom and Ray, suggested among other things, they take a 2004 Toyota Camry.

Everyone to whom I posed the first question said, “Yes.” Do you agree with that answer?

Cartoon --

Now here is where you set the flash, and ...


2 comments:

  1. A second trip? Misery likes country?

    Side note: what the heck happened to that photographer's hat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They must have had a blast first time around fixing a car where everything went wrong, and looked forward to a similar challenge! Some people like touring the country visiting antiques fairs, those guys no doubt enjoyed wondering where the nearest garages would be. (I said "Yes.")


    AlisonH you pose a harder question to answer!





    ReplyDelete