Monday, September 23, 2013

AH, THE LIFE IN RETIREMENT

Holly was my barber for many years, so when she told me that she and her husband Scott were going to retire to someplace else on earth, I was quite surprised.  She and Scott spent considerable time investigating a number of different possible retirement locations. For a variety of reasons, they settled on Panama, and moved there the end of this past May.

Holly has a blog and keeps her followers well-informed. There have been issues with housing, learning a new language, meeting new people, and other interesting events. Just the other day she published a blog that epitomizes the quietly relaxed retired individual in a new location. I was so impressed with this writing that I asked her if I could publish it on my own blog. She quickly agreed and so here is Holly relaxing in Panama.

Incidentally, the photograph came with the blog.


 I just have to tell you how much I love the mornings here! It's always sooo peaceful and its the start of a new beginning everyday. All is fresh and just awakening, all of nature is preparing to go out and embrace the day. I love to make a pot of coffee first thing when I get up. Then I go outside and am greeted by two very happy dogs, tails wagging and I swear they're smiling! Really! They are so happy to see me each morning, I just love that about dogs. When I lived in California I never had time to have a dog. But here, even though I don't 'officially' have a dog, (don't tell these two; they think they're mine or do they think I'm theirs? Hmmm?) I'm enjoying the presence of their happy doggy faces everyday. Whatever they think, I just adore the enthusiasm that greets me when I open that door in the morning. They're so stinky and they have tons of little flies all over them,(who knows what they've been frolicking in during the night, yuck!), but I don't care, my hands can be washed! I pet them and scratch their bellies and they just love my attention and I love theirs as well, everyone is happy. After giving them a little food (very little, they are so fat, I think they must make the rounds here in the neighborhood and are fed by multiple people!), I grab my cup of coffee and my iPad and go sit on the patio to read my emails or check out Facebook and play my many turns on Words With Friends. I hardly every get to read my emails or any other such productive things because the view is soooo distracting. The hummers are giving me a show as they dance around the feeder, fighting over whose food it is. All the colorful birds are having their daily meeting in the avocado tree in front of me. I'm always sure to place a banana in the little basket in the tree so they have a snack while they are having their meeting. Often I see bright yellow or bright blue butterflies flittering past as I gaze out at the lush green mountains in the distance. All the flowers also serve as distractions from my morning reading. The bright purple colored bougainvillea, the huge Angels trumpets, the vast array of many colored Hibiscus scattered all around this landscape and lets not forget the hydrangea. I just can’t pull my eyes away from all the natural beauty I'm surrounded by as I sip on my coffee. I must admit one of my favorite sights is the many banana trees all over this property, you just don't see that in your everyday life living in the Silicon Valley ! I love the way the gigantic leaves move with the breeze, they sway so gracefully and I never tire of watching them. As the sun rises the landscape changes ever so subtly with the light. The mountain range comes into view as the mist recedes and I can slowly begin to make out the many different layers of mountain that are seemingly 'stacked' up behind one another. What appeared to be one big mountain is actually several different mountain ranges all covered in coffee plants and varies species of trees. The many different shades of green mesmerize me. I love to pick out all the green. Who knew there existed so many different shades! It's just impossible to pay attention to my precious iPad with this much beauty surrounding me. Yes, the mornings are my absolute favorite time of day! No need to rush to get ready to go anywhere, I'll shower whenever I have time. There's never any feeling of urgency to get anything in particular done or started! Aside from putting that banana in the tree or petting that fat little stinky dog with the smiling face. If there's such a thing as being too content, I'm in trouble!

Humor --

QUOTES

My husband and I divorced over religious differences.  He thought he was God and I didn't.

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

I'm not a complete idiot… some parts are just missing.

Out of my mind.  Back in five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment